ERM vs actuators

emmiesix

ERM vs actuators

Post by emmiesix »

What is the status of the two (or more?) approaches in terms of the actual stimulation? I'm not super happy with the haptic motors, it's spreading a lot of vibration around the finger despite trying to isolate to the central contact point. Does anyone have a working version using the actuators and speaker parts and such?
stasis

Re: ERM vs actuators

Post by stasis »

I think by "two or more" types of haptic motors, you mean linear resonant actuators (LRA) and eccentric rotating mass (ERM)? And then there are exciters or speaker-like actuators that Tass's experiment used.
I've had good luck so far with exciters (TEAX09C005-8), but they are relatively large compared to LRAs. I think you're right about the motion and frequency of exitation of ERMs being too uncontrolled.
bbadm
Site Admin

Post by bbadm »

emmiesix wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:46 am I'm not super happy with the haptic motors, it's spreading a lot of vibration around the finger despite trying to isolate to the central contact point.
What is the brand and item number (and the URL to the datasheet) of the haptic motor you are using?

Are you sure it's vibrating in the plane perpendicular to the skin surface? What we call here the Y-axis.
bbadm
Site Admin

Post by bbadm »

emmiesix wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:46 am Does anyone have a working version using the actuators and speaker parts and such?
I have a working version of my G21
3D design housing and contactor pin for TECTONIC TEAX09C005-8 Audio Exciters,
found at :
https://bb.f2heal.com/viewtopic.php?p=11#p11

I simply attach them with rubber bands to the fingers.

I'm happy with the stimulation quality.
20230215_152026.jpg
20230215_152026.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 15040 times
Winnie the Poo

Post by Winnie the Poo »

I am using audio exciters - Dayton DAEX13CT-8. The problem is they are quite large, so I may continue to explore possibilities with something smaller. I have an enclosure outer width of 32mm which is pretty close (or beyond) the maximum practical for a glove,, especially with my small hands. Actually, I'm currently waiting on those enclosures to be printed.

Even stuck to a rigger glove with insulating tape ( a very scruffy prototyping option) they perform well. One big advantage is that amplitude is easily adjustable. In principal, the stimulus is all y axis, not that I think that necessarily matters all that much.

Return to “The actuator housing / finger bed”