Co-developing on Google’s VHP boards

https://ai.googleblog.com/2021/11/an-op ... ptics.html
bbadm
Site Admin

Co-developing on Google’s VHP boards

Post by bbadm »

The Google VHP Vibrotactile Haptics Platform has some undeniable beneficial features compared to the electronics we are currently using.

One of them is the current control, which gives you individual force control over the actuators. It will help you to secure proper skin contact and proper skin indention (not too much and not too little). A welcome (probably a must-have) feature to achieve successful treatment.

We are in positif consultation with Google Research to acquire some of these VHP boards for development.

Wouldn't it be great if this DIY Development Community moves towards a standard Open-source hardware platform?

Any of you who are willing to shift to and co-develop on Google’s VHP boards, leave a comment below.

Apollo84 is already developing on it.
AlejandroSenes

Re: Co-developing on Google’s VHP boards

Post by AlejandroSenes »

Hi! I am interesed!
watia

Post by watia »

I am interested as well although the availability of the boards may be a limiting factor.

Why does your current approach using the audio amplifiers not allow for individual channel amplitude adjustment? ?Could a digipot enable such functionality?
bbadm
Site Admin

Post by bbadm »

watia wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:09 pm I am interested as well although the availability of the boards may be a limiting factor.
We received the manufacturing files from Google so we can produce them ourself.
Apollo84 shot already in a production order in China for a few pieces. He will receive them shortly.
I hope to receive shortly few pieces from Google.
Where are you based, so we can figure out what is the most logical way to get you a board?
watia wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:09 pm Why does your current approach using the audio amplifiers not allow for individual channel amplitude adjustment? ?Could a digipot enable such functionality?
In my current design the audio amplifiers might have an integrated current control loop, but I can't read it out with the controller.
I do can adjust the gain / amplification.
I do want to read out the current consumption of the VCA, since the current consumption is proportional with the delivered force by the VCA. If you know the consumed current, you know the delivered force. Meaning you can distinguish whether or not the contractor is pushing, enough, too much or too little (poor or no contact).
I noticed myself that during the treatment a fingerbed dares to shift and influence the quality of the contact of the contactor to the skin. When you monitor the current you will notice that and you can trigger an alarm to re-adjust the fingerbed to the finger.
On the other hand, the right skin indention level is another critical factor. Too little indention is not good, too much indention is nor good. Once you have a calibrated VCA, you can control the skin indention level by controlling the current consumption of the VCA. In my opinion a must-have feature.
bbadm
Site Admin

Post by bbadm »

AlejandroSenes wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:35 pm Hi! I am interesed!
We have put you on the list.
Please update your location in your forum profile, so we can figure out where to source you from as soon as we have boards available.
watia

Post by watia »

bbadm wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:36 pm
watia wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:09 pm I am interested as well although the availability of the boards may be a limiting factor.
We received the manufacturing files from Google so we can produce them ourself.
Apollo84 shot already in a production order in China for a few pieces. He will receive them shortly.
I hope to receive shortly few pieces from Google.
Where are you based, so we can figure out what is the most logical way to get you a board?
That is great, sounds like you've solved the logistics problem of getting the boards. I am based in the US in Boston, Massachusetts. I can PM you my address.
bbadm wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:36 pm
watia wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:09 pm Why does your current approach using the audio amplifiers not allow for individual channel amplitude adjustment? ?Could a digipot enable such functionality?
In my current design the audio amplifiers might have an integrated current control loop, but I can't read it out with the controller.
I do can adjust the gain / amplification.
I do want to read out the current consumption of the VCA, since the current consumption is proportional with the delivered force by the VCA. If you know the consumed current, you know the delivered force. Meaning you can distinguish whether or not the contractor is pushing, enough, too much or too little (poor or no contact).
I noticed myself that during the treatment a fingerbed dares to shift and influence the quality of the contact of the contactor to the skin. When you monitor the current you will notice that and you can trigger an alarm to re-adjust the fingerbed to the finger.
On the other hand, the right skin indention level is another critical factor. Too little indention is not good, too much indention is nor good. Once you have a calibrated VCA, you can control the skin indention level by controlling the current consumption of the VCA. In my opinion a must-have feature.
Interesting, that is similar to the method we have used in a previous company using voice coil actuators to control a micro-robot that was used for optical alignment. There were encoders allowing for feedback to allow constant position in the presence of external forces, or constant force based on the current applied. I like the idea of an alarm to make sure the finger is accurately positioned in the fingerbed.
Router

Post by Router »

I'd be interested as well - location is Germany
AlejandroSenes

Post by AlejandroSenes »

bbadm wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:43 pm
AlejandroSenes wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:35 pm Hi! I am interesed!
We have put you on the list.
Please update your location in your forum profile, so we can figure out where to source you from as soon as we have boards available.

Thanks a lot, i updated It....from Spain.
bbadm
Site Admin

Kits ready for co-developing on Google’s VHP boards

Post by bbadm »

We are creating 5 kits for co-developing ready for shipment in a few days
1.jpg
1.jpg (443.76 KiB) Viewed 28760 times
Kit:
Google VHP board €200.00
Ribbon Cable €5.00
Break out board €10.00
Battery €15.00
Set €230.00
ctime

Post by ctime »

Looks beautiful. Any progress? Do you need a case made for it?

Return to “Google Vibrotactile Haptics Platform [VHP]”